Friday, November 02, 2007

Why do you build me up, (build me up) Butternut, baby?

Coconut and Butternut Squash Soup

Sometimes when nothing else seems to do the trick, a bowl of warm, comforting soup is all it takes. When you've got the blues, you're starting to feel ill, the weather blows (literally), or you've simply had a bad day, soup will gladly wrap itself around you to melt away the last of your worries. The best thing about soup is it's versatility - you can make a soup out of just about anything! I love to wrestle in the soup arena, and rarely am I disappointed with the results.

The other day, just when I felt I could not stand another day of grey weather and stress at work, I noticed the lone butternut squash sitting pretty in my fruit bowl. She winked at me and assured me that everything was going to be just fine. Go on, she coaxed, make a soup. And that I did. I opened up the pantry and pondered on a pairing. Coconut milk caught my eye and immediately an asian flair came to mind - sharp and citrusy ginger, cilantro and lime mellowed out by the hearty squash and creamy coconut. Thirty minutes later I was curled up on the couch, blisfully devouring the silky smooth soup. With a soup this bright and cheery, the blues will simply melt away.


Coconut and Butternut Squash Soup


  • 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and chopped into even pieces
  • 1 small onion, roughly chopped
  • 3 green onions, roughly chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
  • 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
  • 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
  • juice of half a lime
  • 1 tbs fish sauce
  • chicken stock
  • chopped cilantro

Heat some olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat and saute the onion, green onion and garlic until translucent. Next, add the ginger and butternut squash and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Add the coconut milk, lime juice and fish sauce and stir to combine. Next, add enough chicken stock to cover the squash by 1 inch. Bring to a boil and then simmer until the squash is fork tender, about 20 minutes. Puree the soup in a blender (a bit at a time) or with an immersion blender until smooth. Add back to the soup pot and cook for another 5 minutes. Adjust the seasoning (add more fish sauce or salt to taste) and stir in the chopped cilantro.

3 comments:

bri said...

Yum! And it could easily be made vegetarian. I love the punny title. I'm a sucker for punny titles. Thanks for the reminder of one of my favorite pairings...winter squash and coconut milk.

Nicole said...

I absolutely love that photo! And the soup recipe sounds wonderful! I haven't used coconut milk in a while, I think it's time to re-stock my pantry!

Deborah said...

I have been seeing so many interesting recipes for butternut squash soup lately!! This is another wonderful sounding version!